Monday, March 21, 2011

in my kitchen: soup's on

This is one of my favorite recipes from one of my favorite cookbooks, The Vegetarian Family Cookbook.  My son LOVES broccoli soup and this one sneaks some extra protein into it.  Tonight, I left out the peas and added some shredded cheddar and a splash of ale into the mix. Crusty bread is a must.

Cream of Broccoli Soup

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1 medium/large onion, coarsely chopped
  • 2/3 broccoli crowns
  • 1 vegetable bouillon cubes
  • One 16-ounce can Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
  • 1 cup low-fat milk (substitute rice or soy for vegan option)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Putting it Together:
  • Heat oil in soup pot and add onion.  Saute until golden (aprox. 5-7 minutes)
  • Add broccoli, bouillon, and 4 cups of water.  Bring to a simmer, cover and continue gently simmering for about 8 minutes
  • Transfer to a food processor, puree until smooth, and return mixture to pot.  Puree the beans and 1 cup of peas and add them to the pot.
  • Add enough milk to give the soup a medium thick consistency.  Stir in the remaining peas and cheese (if using).  Cook over low heat for 5 minutes.

I love listening to music while I cook!  Tonight was Madeline Peyroux: 







Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

No comments:

Post a Comment